Thursday, November 16, 2006

chocolate chip pancakes

A couple of days ago, I had chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast (thanks to Carrie). I know, chocolate for breakfast...it almost doesn't seem right, and I thought that, as I was eating them, but still enjoyed them immensely.
Filipinos have perfected the art of the perfect pancake. They are more like a dessert, and are usually found in the dessert section on the menu, of the restaurants here that serve them. They are light and fluffy,and puff up tall when you cook them, with just the right amount of sweetness. Usually you can order them with pineapple, or mango, or banana in them. And of course, chocolate. Most often this will look like a pancake, with chocolate syrup on top.
These pancakes are very different from the idea of a pancake that I grew up with. I think, not having the history of specialties like flapjacks, and johnnycakes, and buckwheat pancakes, and the different varieties that pioneers and homesteaders made, what you get here is an import, dessert version...lite.
But still really good. And these lovely pancakes come from a mix...just put in the egg, water and oil, and--perfect pancakes, every time.

I remember, being a kid, and wanting the big fluffy pancakes that you would get from the Bisquick mix. We rarely ever got those...which I'm thankful for...but I think I remember the first time I had one...when a babysitter came over and made them for us one night for dinner. I remember looking at the box, and watching the pancakes puff up on the griddle.
Yes, my dad liked the pancakes full of whole grains and goodness...Cornmeal Mountain Pancakes. =) I like them too...and now, when I make my own pancakes I always put whole wheat flour, or wheat germ, or oatmeal, if I have it.
I bought some oat flour pancake mix at the health food store in Manila a few weeks ago. I tried to make them, and they almost wouldn't cook, they were so heavy...so I think next time, I may just have to start with that light and fluffy Maya mix, and add a bit of the real stuff...to get a happy medium. =)

No comments: