Saturday, December 02, 2006

Typhoon Durian

Well, we all survived the typhoon, with relatively little damage.

It hit hard though, and tore up lots and lots of trees, and tore off roofs. It really hit about maybe 11pm, and I'd been sleeping for a while, so I woke up, and closed my windows and watched the wind and rain whip around outside. I was up and looking around every couple of hours, and I dosed inbetween that. Finally about 4 am it quieted down a bit, and I woke up at 6:30 to see my neighbors repairing their torn off roof.

There wasn't a whole of of structural damage to things, besides for the trees torn up, but the sad part is the loss of electricity. We are hearing reports that it may be 1-3 MONTHS before the electricity is back up. That sounds so crazy, I can hardly comprehend it. But if you think about it the electric lines run along the road, and there must be thousands of trees down along the stretch of national highway that goes from here to Calapan, the big city on northern Mindoro.

So, my last post about waiting for electricity for my house is somewhat null...maybe when power is finally restored, my place will be included. =)

So, for now I'm good. I was at a labor/birth for about 18 hours yesterday, so I'm a bit tired. I did rest some during that time, but it's still not ever relaxing. There was a shoulder dystocia, so that was exciting, but everything was fine, and the baby responded well right away.

Thankfully we have a generator at Scott and Vicki's, so amazingly the internet is running by that, and I can charge my phone, so I'm able to communicate with people. =)
A lot of people in White Beach have generators also, but not really so much here in Aninuan, which is about a 10 minute walk away. So we'll see, we may be living by generator for the next while.

It's okay though, and life seems to be going along as usual...except for the trees in the middle of the road

3 comments:

Suzette said...

glad to know you are are well.
we are praying for you.
get some sleep!
love,
suzette

Kim said...

i look foward to this life - being unsure if we can even count on electricity... maybe I will learn a bit about patience! -K

Anonymous said...

I was praying for you!! Sooo good to hear that you are doing well.